VERSATILE VANCOUVERITE

Sunday 20 February 2011

Losing a horse

To my great dismay on December 16th 2010 sadly we had to put my beloved Frisbee down. At the ripe old age of 18 years he was still going strong. His very particular disposition made me very challenging for people to get along with him or find patients for him. He really chose who he liked and really told you who he didn't. He needed someone who was understanding loving and patient. There were many times when it was considered he would be retired to a field because he didn't want to work for anyone. Then by a long shot I came along and I was offered this horse. The start was rocky he took off from me on the ground and bite through my jacket. He bite me when I brushed him and when I put his blankets on. I was tired of him and didn't think it was going to work. Until we had a break through. This horse was finally happy to see me when I came into the barn. He was over protective of me and let me do whatever I wanted with him. He would jump the moon for me and we started excelling in lessons. We went to school at a few horse shows and he was fantastic. The last Sunday I had a lesson on him one of our trainers pushed me to my limit with height and technicality. The course was no less then perfect and I felt fantastic. Monday is his day off so Tuesday would be when I next returned to the barn. At 8am  got a call saying that he looked like he was 'tied up'. The vet was coming to see him. I rushed out the barn to find out it was a possible abbess that was very painful. A couple days later when it wasn't getting better they took more  X rays and saw that his hip was sinking. We came to the conclusion that he had fractured his hip. The time frame for the fracture must have been between night check 10pm and breakfast 8am. We were still hopefully that the fracture would heel in 5 or 6 months of stall rest. He seemed ok and comfortable went for walks down the long barn aisle twice a day.

The week before his death he took a turn for the worst. He couldn't hold himself up and he was in extreme pain. His liver and kidneys were going to shut down because we increased his pain killer. We had to make the best decision for this horse. Unfortunately that was to put him down.

Along came the morning of December 16th 2010 the morning that I was dreading. I drove out to the barn with one of my best friends who lovingly supported through this hard time. When I got to the barn I had my time alone with him brushing him feeding him treats. His owners then soon after came who do not ride anymore (haven't ridden in 3 years and just lease the horse on year long contracts). I had never met his owners nor had I ever spoken to them. They were sweet a loving and so grateful that someone who loved Frisbee as much as they did had him as part of their family. They thanked me from the bottom of their heart for making the end of his life so grand and making him so happy. They said they prayed for someone like me to take care of their baby. At almost 2pm the vets came and we walked him out to the back under the beautiful huge oak tree with surrounding flower beds and green grass. I held him as we went down peacefully and faded away. That was the hardest I have ever done in my life.

I miss my friend dearly everyday and although it has gotten easier I have my good days and my bad days. I know there will never be a horse like him and that he will never come back but his memories will last me a life time.

I would like to thank all my friends and family for being support and their for me. I would also like to send a message to Frisbee and let him know he changed my life. I hadn't be as happy as I was in a long time until I got him.

To honor Frisbee's legacy I am trying to find some frozen semen that anyone may have from him. I know he has some champion offspring and we all know he loves to jump. He was a grandprix jumper who competed all over the world (Europe, New Zealand, Dubai, USA and Canada). Then he retired and was an equitation medal horse. Until he finally became my little hunter.

RIP Frisbee you were out of this world - 1992 to December 16th 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment